Planning a waste-free event
- Contract a materials management provider(s) well in advance to know what they can provide and what they will and will not accept.
- Choose reusable plates, utensils, cups and packaging whenever possible. If it is not possible to use reusable items, choose recyclable or compostable containers or minimally packaged goods instead.
- Work with everybody involved in the event, including vendors and attendees, well before the day of the event to ensure that only recyclable and compostable disposable materials will be used at the event.
- Encourage a centralized station for bulk condiments, napkins, and utensils.
- Create “sorting stations” with one recycling bin, one compost container and one trash can at each. This makes it easy for guests to sort their materials properly. Evidence has shown that reducing the number of trash cans around an area results in better recycling.
- Consider finding a "Green Team" of volunteers to staff the disposal stations throughout the event.
- Make sure the recycling and composting options are promoted and clearly marked during the event to encourage proper use of all the containers. Click here for printable signs.